Friday, October 1, 2010

Mini Review: Hatchet II

     When Adam Green's Hatchet was first released in 2007, it breathed new life into the slasher genre. A bloodsoaked, gut busting horror franchise was born. Adam Green is back at it with the long awaited sequel, Hatchet II.
     As a fan of the first film, and of slasher films in general, I was very excited for this movie. I talked a couple buddies into going to the midnight release across the PA/NJ border to probably the nicest movie theater I've ever been in. I remember on the way there, worrying about securing a ticket and finding a good seat. Needless to say, there were only 4 other people in the theater that night. We grabbed our popcorn, soda, and Reese's Pieces, and sat back in our very comfortable seats. My eyes lit up as the opening scene began...
   


     Hatchet II picks up exactly one frame after the first movie ended, with Victor Crowley holding our damsel in distress Marybeth (this time played by the amazing Danielle Harris) in his evil clutches. The first thing you notice is that Victor looks a little different, which makes it better. I really liked how this movie gave a lot more back story, and explained a lot of stuff from the first movie. One of the things I really liked about Hatchet II was the character expansion of Reverend Zombie, played by the Candyman himself, Tony Todd.
    This movie was filled with positives for me. Numerous references to other slasher movies had me cracking up, and I nearly crapped my pants when I saw Lloyd Kaufman make a cameo appearance. As soon as I saw Uncle Lloyd's face, I clapped and yelled out, "THATS LLOYD KAUFMAN!"The story was great, and I thought the movie had a good pace. Danielle Harris was exceptional as always, doing a much better job at portraying Marybeth than the previous actress. The best part for me, obviously, were all the kills. Some of the most imaginative and entertaining kills I've seen in cinema, with plenty of the red stuff flying about. Seeing a man being choked by his own intestine until his head pops off gives me that warm, tingly feeling.
     If you were a fan of the first Hatchet, be sure to not miss this movie. You won't be disappointed. And if you are just a slasher fan in general, the same goes for you. This gore-soaked slash fest is one that will be loved for generations of horror fans to come. Now the countdown begins for Hatchet III...

--- Chuck 

No comments:

Post a Comment